Everyone knows the beginning of the year is the time for setting goals. Lose weight! Get in shape! Spend more time with friends and family! It’s also the time to set goals for your career. If you do, there’s a good chance you’ll become rich. Didn’t you hear about that study on goal setting?
In his book What They Don’t Teach You At Harvard Business School, Mark McCormack tells of a study conducted with new graduates from the 1979 Harvard MBA program. In that year, the students were asked, "Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?"
84% had no specific goals at all
13% had goals, but they were not in writing
3% had clear, written goals and plans to accomplish them
Ten years later, they interviewed the members of the class once again. The results?
The 13% of the class who had goals were earning, on average, twice as much as the 84% who had no goals at all
More shocking, the 3% with clear, written goals were making ten times as much as the other 97% put together!
Jim Hopkinson is an author, writer, and speaker living in New York City. His focus is on career development for the new economy, showing how new media, technology and branding are changing how people look at their career and lifestyle. Read more...