Office of the Director of National IntelligenceMcLean, VAFull Time
Job Posting for 28603 - OGC Unpaid Student Intern at Office of the Director of National Intelligence
The Office of General Counsel (OGC) of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) provides legal advice and counsel to the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) and other ODNI officials on a wide range of legal issues to include intelligence and national security law; procurement, acquisition law; personnel law; government ethics, budget and fiscal law; general administrative law; legislative support; government information practices (Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act).
- To be eligible for an internship at ODNI OGC, applicants must be U.S. Citizens who-at the time of the application-hold a TS/SCI security clearance based on a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) that was completed within the past five years.
Applicants who have successfully passed at least a counterintelligence polygraph are preferred.
Additionally, applicants must
- Be currently enrolled at least half-time in an accredited academic institution as a J.D. or L.L.M. level student.
- Possess, at the time of application, a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or equivalent.
- Have approval from the academic institution to participate in the student internship program, and to work a minimum of 16-32 hours per week.
- Have requested and be eligible to receive academic credit from the academic institution for his or her student internship work experience.
- Agree to the necessary safeguarding and nondisclosure of sensitive information.
- Agree to follow ODNI procedures for entry and out-processing.
- Possess an interest in a public service career.
Seeks highly qualified 1L, 2L, 3L, or LLM students for its internship program.
Interns will take on a variety of duties, which include:
- Assisting attorneys in providing oral and written advice to senior officials and counselors in the ODNI.
- Preparing memorandums on legal and policy issues facing the Intelligence Community (IC).
- Making presentations to OGC and ODNI leadership on legal topics.
- Working with other agencies on national security litigation, policy, and related topics.
- Supporting ODNI components to ensure compliance with relevant statutes and regulations.
- Revising and vetting regulations and internal policy directives.
- Assisting the OGC in the administration of the agency and the wider IC.
The position will expose interns to numerous areas of law and related policies, including; national security law, intelligence law, procurement and acquisition law, personnel law, government ethics, budget and fiscal law, administrative law, legislative support, government informational practices under the Freedom of Information Act and the Privacy Act, and intellectual property law.
OGC works to provide practical, accurate, and timely legal guidance and counsel to ODNI, to safeguard the legal rights of American citizens, and to ensure that all employees and contractors assigned to ODNI comply with U.S. law and any applicable regulations and directives.
OGC's mission also includes supporting ODNI in carrying out the statutory responsibility of that office to ensure that IC elements that are part of the National Intelligence Program comply with the Constitution and laws of the United States. To this end, OGC works closely with legal officers across the IC to coordinate the development of legal mechanisms to facilitate the implementation of ODNI policies within the larger constitutional, statutory, and regulatory framework that bounds IC activities.