Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
The primary functions of this position are the performance of analytical testing on raw ingredients, in-process and finished product and plant utilities. This also includes testing for release of product to manufacturing for further processing, filling and finishing. Work hours are TBD. Entry level position with growth ability within the quality lab and microbiology lab. Relocation unavailable.
• Conducts raw ingredient analysis - Includes simple titrations, identity, sediment testing, etc.
• Conducts in-process and finished product testing including: vitamin analysis, protein analysis, mineral analysis, fat by Mojonnier extraction technique and CEM Hybrid Determination Trac, total solids determination, Iodide and chloride testing, vitamin C testing, mineral analysis.
• Performs Standardization for test KOH and final water calculations and physical tests such as pH, viscosity, grain color, sensory evaluation.
• Makes batch adjustments by generating appropriate documentation for batch corrections and optimizations. Makes batch calculations by generation and distribution of work orders and associated controlled documentation.
• Conduct special testing required under an Interim Operating Procedure or any testing required under certification or validation protocols and assist in investigations into testing problems as required under the Retest Policy.
• Observes all safety rules and regulations. Reports incidents, near misses chemical spills in the proper manner to crew leader and/or supervisor.
• Completes project work as assigned by supervision and management. This may include troubleshooting and maintenance of analytical equipment and test methods, maintaining related documentation, coordinating efforts with vendors/plant/Division personnel, developing appropriate training classes.
• Responsible for maintaining an adequate inventory of all supplies related to the analytical laboratory. Responsible for training new chemists on all laboratory operations which includes methods, procedures, documentation, maintenance and safety.
• Conducts control sample analysis to determine validity of concurrent testing per method, Clean in place (CIP) Residual testing, daily flavor and aroma of oils and weekly peroxide testing of oils, and completes any associated documentation and
housekeeping responsibilities. Completes Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Quarterly standardization, maintenance, system suit abilities and testing.
High School Diploma or GED required and a college math and science course. Bachelor’s Degree of Science (preferably Chemistry) preferred
• Ability to follow verbal instructions, recognize signs, follow written directions, prepare simple reports, read and record gauge and display readings and use their knowledge of chemistry acquired through formal education with moderate assistance from supervisor. Mathematics knowledge would include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, decimals, fractions, proportions, and basic keyboard skills, computer skills and statistical comprehension is desirable.
• Physical requirements for lifting and pushing 20-25 lbs. in addition to normal laboratory work.
• The ability to effectively communicate with other chemists, operators, crew leaders and management with varying levels of education and experience. Also recognizing the sometimes-conflicting roles of manufacturing and quality assurance, and the ability to maintain clear priorities, and stay in compliance at all times.
• Able to effectively train new chemists on all procedures and methods in the laboratories. This position requires a high level of flexibility, adaptability and personal accountability due to the type and timing of the work involved.