Research Associate I/II Analytical Development and Purification
AbSci is a growth stage synthetic biology company located in a new, state-of-the art laboratory in downtown Vancouver, WA, just across the river from Portland, OR. AbSci is a global leader and innovator of revolutionary biomanufacturing technologies, designing and programming cells for next-generation biopharmaceuticals. Our Protein Printing™ technology results in dramatic reductions in the cost of producing biologics, acceleration of drug discovery timelines, and enables the production of previously difficult or impossible-to-produce molecules. Our technology is a new paradigm in protein production, as it increases discovery throughput, accelerates development, reduces manufacturing costs, and increases plant capacity for the biopharmaceutical industry.
We are currently in a growth phase and are seeking a self-motivated and passionate individual with a strong hands-on background in analytical chemistry to join our team.
The Research Associate I/II will play a significant role in analytical method development and characterization of therapeutic proteins expressed using SoluPro™, AbSci’s proprietary E. coli expression platform. Assays include, but are not limited to, protein concentration by A280, SDS-PAGE, Western blot, LC (e.g. LC-UV, SEC, IEX, etc.), CE-SDS, and/or LC-MS (e.g. intact mass, peptide mapping).
The ideal candidate must demonstrate careful attention to detail, the ability to learn new skills, to work independently, and be comfortable working in a dynamic startup environment where research targets can change from day to day.
After training, the successful candidate will be required to work one weekend day per week.
- Independently perform laboratory tasks for the analysis of complex therapeutic proteins in lysates by a variety of different techniques, including SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, tip-based immunoassays, LC-UV, automated liquid handlers, MS, protein concentration, etc.
- Operation of sophisticated chromatography instrumentation, (e.g. automated liquid handlers, AKTAs, and HPLCs.)
- Preparation of buffers, reagents, and other sample preparation techniques to support sample analyses
- Operation of sophisticated chromatography instrumentation, (e.g. HPLC, MS, CE, etc.)
- Routine generation of high-quality data and timely turnaround of results
- High attention to detail performing experiments and data report generation
- Maintain accurate documentation of all work in laboratory notebooks
- Ability to troubleshoot experiments and equipment
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams such as fermentation and purification
- Use of software packages such as LIMS, ELNs (electronic lab notebooks), EMPOWER, JMP, etc.
- BS in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Bioengineering or related scientific discipline
- Minimum of 1-2 years of laboratory experience in an academic or industry (preferred) lab
- Problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, as needed
- Previous experience in the handling and analysis of proteins is highly preferred
- Understanding of statistics and statistical software (JMP) is a plus
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication, attention to detail, and organizational skills
- Passion for building a gritty and creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and determined to make a transformative impact to our industry
We seek candidates with a passion for building a creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to make a transformative impact to our industry. To be successful in this role, we look for passion in scientific innovation, adept technical skills, and excitement about working in a dynamic startup environment. A demonstrable track record of success in functioning as part of a project team is essential.
AbSci offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) with a generous company match.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position is for our Vancouver, WA location (just outside of Portland, OR) - there is no relocation assistance offered at this time.