Reports to: General Manager & Assistant General Manager
Direct Reports: N/A
Type of Position: Full-time
The Barback works in support of the Bartenders, ensuring the efficient service of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages to guests in a friendly and courteous manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Set up and break down the bar area each shift, maintaining inventory at par levels and alerting the Bartender of any ordering needs.
- Ensure that glassware, ice, paper goods, fruit, garnishes and other supplies are brought from storage areas, stocked, and prepared ahead of the opening of the bar and throughout the shift.
- Stock all juices, fruit, and purees according to expiration date (nearest date to the front) and ensure organization every shift.
- Alert the Bartender and/or management of any potential shortage of supplies.
- Responsible for maintaining a complete knowledge of all beverage and food offerings, ingredients, potential allergens, and recommendations.
- Greet and acknowledge guests in a prompt and friendly manner.
- Polish all glassware throughout each shift, ensuring there is always an available supply.
- Maintain organization, appearance, and cleanliness standards of the bar throughout each shift.
- Ensure the bar area is always free of debris and trash.
- Provide assistance and support to the Bartenders to ensure efficiency and guest satisfaction.
- Ensure constant and effective communication with the Bartenders throughout the shift.
- Ensure that customers are of legal drinking age by checking photo IDs in accordance with the law.
- Assist Bartenders as needed in receiving orders and preparing beverages according to recipes ensuring consistent portioning, presentation, and quality. Distribute to guests and servers as per standards of service.
- Monitor guests’ beverage levels, anticipating their needs and alerting the Bartender as needed.
- Adhere to cell phone policy.
- Responsible for alerting management of any concern that may require escalated attention, whether it be guest or staff related.
- Prepares the bar at close for the following shift.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local regulations as they pertain to health, safety, sanitation, food handling, etc.
- Follow all sign in and out procedures for keys if applicable.
- Follow proper timekeeping policies and procedures.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Attend and participate in all scheduled meetings and training sessions.
- Know and follow all The James Hotel emergency and safety procedures.
- Always practice Caring Culture.
- Protect the assets of the property.
- Maintain professional behavior when in contact with guests, management and fellow associates.
- Follow Policies and Procedures in training manuals and associate handbook.
- Always remember we are in a partnership with our guests, fellow associates and owners to provide quality service and profitability.
- Must have the ability to read, speak and understand English, and to follow written directions and verbal instructions in English.
- Ability to work productively and cooperatively in a high volume, fast paced, high pressure environment.
- Previous Barback experience in a quality restaurant/hotel operation or high-level bar.
- Must have wine, liquor, and food service knowledge.
- Knowledge of New York State Health and Sanitation Guidelines.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work effectively, independently or collaboratively, and efficiently with time constraints in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be customer service oriented with positive interpersonal skills.
- Must be detail oriented and perform work accurately and timely.
- Ability to effectively, professionally, and respectfully communicate with co-workers, supervisors, vendors, and guests.
- Ability to maintain composure in a potentially stressful environment.
- Must be state required age to serve alcohol.
- Able to work a flexible schedule in order to accommodate business levels (weekend and holiday availability required). We will endeavor to provide reasonable accommodations for sincerely held religious beliefs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential job duties and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform those essential functions.
While performing the essential duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently stand, walk, reach, bend, stoop, push, pull, and kneel.
- Handle heavy equipment and machinery.
- Exert well-paced mobility for periods of up to 12 hours per day and at least 60 hours per week.
- Frequently utilize the stairs, often while lifting and carrying heavy containers.
- Be exposed to hazards including, but not limited to, burns, cuts, scrapes, and frequent exposure of hands to water.
I have read this job description and fully understand that failure to comply with any of the stated responsibilities may result in disciplinary action.
This job description is an outline of essential job requirements and may not include all job functions that may be required. This job description is subject to change without notice.